Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 21 Sep 2003 to 22 Sep 2003 (#2003-262)

I know of only three sources of anything near what you want,
and all three companies have high mask fees, over a thousand
dollars per item, and high minimums, 10,000 for Motorola, 5,000
for Quaban and 5,000 for Mitsalla. None of these are recordable
devices, although it could probably be done.

In minimum quantities the prices are:

MOTOROLA
    10,000 lot US$ 43,600 or 4.36 each

MITSALLA
     5,000         27,850    5.51
    10,000         43,100    4.31

QUABAN
     5,000         28,600    5.72
    10,000         42,900    4.29

Features: sixteen sounds from supplied digital files.. Sounds
must be 8KHz and 8 or 16 bit mono totalling 256 K in .wav or
.au format for Motorols and Quaban. Sounds must be 8KHz 16 bit
mono totalling 512 K in .wav format for Mitsalla. Activation by
contact closeure. Connection 24 contact SMT except Motorola 34
contact SMT. Power source customer supplied 3V.

Customer supplies circuit board, activation contact system,
transducer, battery holder and battery. Total price arround
nine dollars complete. (Not counting book.)

MaiKatzchen

--- Mary Jeanne Linford <mjlinford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I need a source for a wafer thin digital recording device.
> with a speaker that can record a sound/message/etc for up to
> 10 seconds and be thin enough to incorporate in a thick back
> cover for the book.  They also need to be triggered by a
> switch, rather than an electrical surge (unlike the Radio
> Shack sound recording picture frames).  Any
> suggestions/sources/etc?  I don't want to build them myself
> from chips, etc unless someone has an easy-to-make recorder
> device and instructions.
>
> Thanks in advance...
> MJ Linford
> always watching out for UFO's...