[BKARTS] Pillage

I'd like to hear more about this, myself, since I'm doing some research on the topic. The British historian Hugh Trevor-Roper suggests that this kind of practice petered out between European ("civilized," haha) nations some time in the mid-seventeenth century, but he doesn't address "freebooting," e.g. the licensing of privateers to harass international shipping. All I know is that by the French Revolution the looting of art objects was not considered legal - leading to elaborate justifications for the looting that went on anyway.

As for dealing with "non-civilized" (haha again) nations, remember the systematic looting of the Forbidden City in Beijing, and the looting of Benin by the British in 1897. I don't recall any legal objections.

>I just re-read the post and wonder when the 'war booty' legality ended,
>since it probably wasn't the case in the late 19th century.

>Mark Andersson
>Department Head, Bookbinding
>North Bennet Street School
>39 N. Bennet Street
>Boston, MA 02113
>617-227-0155
>fax:  617-227-9292

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the techniques of the medieval scribe