Re: [BKARTS] Britain to return plundered Ethiopian book

Deborah,

I think the keyword here is "precedence".

If one manuscript is returned to one country you will never be able to
refuse returning any other manuscript to any other country. And then you
will neither be able to refuse to return any artifact in any museum to
any country. Where do you draw the line?

These war campaigns and colonial projects may surely have been nasty
businesses, but - despite how we feel about it - history turned out the
way it did and I am not sure it would do any good to begin returning
books, manuscripts, and artifacts from libraries and museums.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg

Stockholm - Sweden