Re: [BKARTS] Changing to preservation

At 02:50 PM 10/17/2003 +0000, Lone Pine wrote:
Hi all,

I earned my MA in Library Science several years ago, and have worked as a
librarian for 8 years.

I'm interested in changing tracks to conservation/preservation work. I've
done some volunteer/intern-type work in book repair, as well as continuing
education at the Center for Book Arts.

Has anyone successfully transitioned from another career into book
conservation? I'm curious about how I might leverage my Library degree so
that I don't have to start from scratch.

--Sue.

Can you move into conservation at your present library? I know the head of the library conservation dept. at Berkeley is (or used to be, I haven't kept up) a librarian. She would make the evaluations of the materials brought in for repair/conservation.

I think the techs so the hands-on work, except for items that are
sent out to the bindery.

I'm the default conservation person here in our library, but we don't
have much money for sending things out.

Are you on the Conservation e-list? There used to be a separate
conservation of library materials e-list, but it seems to have disappeared.

Susan

Susan Fatemi
Earthquake Engineering Library
National Information Service for Earthquake Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
1301 South 46th Street, RFS #453
Richmond, CA 94804-4698

Ph: (510) 231-9552