[BKARTS] Turning Pages: South Florida Book Arts

Hello Everyone,

The following exhibition notice is posted on behalf of Lea
Nickless-Verecchia, a woman who has put together a pretty wonderful book
arts exhibit in a place not necessarily known for such things. If you'll be
in South Florida anytime between this Thursday and next May, I encourage
you to put this on your list of things to do while you're here. The exhibit
opens this Thursday evening in Miami, and travels in 2004 to two venues
further north, including here at the Jaffe Collection.

Lea provides a phone number for information regarding this Thursday's
opening, and I'm guessing that's the number for the Centre Gallery at Miami
Dade. If you have other questions, I suppose you might send them my way,
off-list.

John Cutrone
The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection
Boca Raton, Florida

* * * * * * *

BOOK as ART:
South Florida Artists' Books Showcased during Miami Book Fair International

Books created by local artists will be on exhibit at the Centre Gallery,
Wolfson Campus, Miami Dade College in a show titled "Turning Pages:
Celebrating South Florida Artist-Made Books." The exhibition, on view from
October 30 through December 12, 2003, will highlight more than 40 visual
interpretations of the book. Exceptionally diverse and inventive, the
exhibition reflects the vibrancy that defines South Florida and its
cultural life. After its opening in Miami, the exhibition will travel to
the Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection: Books as Aesthetic Objects at Florida
Atlantic University in Boca Raton, and to the Bienes Center for the
Literary Arts at the Broward County Main Library in Fort Lauderdale. A full
color catalogue will accompany the exhibition.

A public reception will take place on Thursday, October 30, 2003, from 5 to
8pm at the Centre Gallery, Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus (300 NE 2nd
Avenue, in Downtown Miami). For additional information call 305 237 3696.

"Turning Pages" was curated by Lea Nickless-Verrechia and is a
collaborative effort of Miami Dade College, the Jaffe Book Arts Collection
at Florida Atlantic University, the Bienes Center at the Broward County
Main Library, the Florida Center for the Book, and the Florida Center for
the Literary Arts.

EXHIBITION SCHEDULE
Miami:
Centre Gallery, Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus
October 30 through December 12, 2003

Boca Raton:
The Jaffe Atrium Book Arts Gallery, Florida Atlantic University Wimberly
Library
January 14 through February 29, 2004

Fort Lauderdale:
The Bienes Center for the Literary Arts, Broward County Main Library
March 18 through May 8, 2004