Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 27 Oct 2003 to 28 Oct 2003 (#2003-298)

I have been reading the posting on why there are not more fine bindings.
This brings me to a question I've had for a long time having to do with the
changing structure of our society.  It seems to me that in the past people could
learn craft in their public high schools and move into apprenticeships or  jobs
where they could develop their skills as they paid their bills.  There were
fewer people, pre babyboom, and more avenues for success in a chosen craft area.
 Now, with academia extending its territory into every possible career, the
enormous glut of people, the rise of a large retail stores, and in many places,
a ballooning real estate market... who knows what else... it becomes more
difficult for a person to make a choice that won't pay the bills.  Who can afford
to put themselves 100,000 dollars in debt getting an MFA?

I feel, and this may not be true, although it's true enough by an informal
survey, that the majority of people who pursue what they love are propped up by
financial backing outside themselves.  Husbands or wives with money, trust
funds, parents... whatever.   I feel like our society is stratifying more and
more every day.  Traditional fields that would in the past have been guild work
are no longer needed by industry, so instead they become the privileged fields
of the very comfortable. Of course, there are always people who will live in
their car in order to do what they want, but  it shouldn't be necessary to live
in your car or put yourself in life time debt and hold down two jobs in order
to pursue your craft and feed your family.  However, this appears to be more
and more the case.  I'd love to have someone tell me it isn't true.