Re: [BKARTS] core skills

Of course, -my turn to be condescending- you must all know that collage
has quite a distinguished history, with artists such as Kurt
Schwitters, Marcel Duchamp, Raoul Hausmann, and Robert Rauschenberg
participating (to name only a few). Artist's books and altered books,
didn't appear as an "under ground," anti-book "CRAFT." Some people have
come to altered books through this history. There have been recent book
artists who have also altered books or used their parts in their
artist's books, for example -Walter Hamady, who, pulling from some
wisdom, taught this to his students.

Grant you, there are many women currently pursuing this, perhaps as
amusement or as art. Though you seem to be in support to some extent,
you seem to be denigrating both (and I'm not just singling out the
person who emailed below).

As someone who studied in artist books...who chose NOT to craft my
books using leather bindings (as apparently many of you do, I resent
the "holier than thou" nature of some of these posts. Let me say, if I
were to need multiple additions of finely bound books, this list would
be the first place I would go to hire someone... I prefer to let
experts to their work, but at the same time... I wouldn't put any of
you down for your apparent lack of ability in creating an artist book,
whether it be with handmade paper on book board, or a deconstructed /
reconstructed book.

It seems that these posts define purely by negative comparison, which I
find particularly frustrating.

That which a person knows he has
is known to him by that which he does not have,
and that which he considers difficult
seems so because of that which he can do with ease.
One thing seems long by comparison with that
which is, comparatively, short.
One thing is high because another thing is low; . . . LAU TZU

Jean Haefner BFA, MFA
Artist | Designer | Educator