[BKARTS] Education?

Who is better to educate?

One who practices and works his craft/art?
Or one who has a piece of paper saying "I spent $100,000 saying I'm educated."

And why are Tech schools doing so well? Is it because the instructors are
also doing what they teach? The Universities Ivory Walls will always be there and
the practicing bookbinders are too busy to take on willing apprentices.

And the future of the craft/art is in jeopardy because of it. Someone needs
to realize that the positions they hold are futile and must give up ground.

As an Art Director for 20 years I've seen how dumbfounded a new candidate for
a graphic design job can be. And by looking at their portfolio know where
they went to school.

Give them a photograph, text and logo. Tell them to make an add 2 col. by 6
inches and they look at you as you just spoke some foreign language. Making
pretty pictures in Photoshop or Illustrator does not make one a graphic artist.
Anymore then an individual who knows Coptic binding makes him/her a bookmaker.
Artist or otherwise.

Universities need to break out of their protectionism and have experience
people help teach their students and if bookbinders and bookmakers want to keep
their art alive need to be willing to take on more apprentices.

The elitism of art schools, book schools and so-called professional
organizations will be the source of their own downfall.

I'm reminded of when computers were first affordable and graphic design
programs came out. All of a sudden I had competition from every mom and pop that
had space for a computer and they suddenly became graphic artist. My clients
wanted me to reduce my prices for layout and design and I said no. They went the
cheaper route and came back to me for help. It costs them twice as much the
second time around then if they just had me do it in the first place.

Form and content is inseparable. Always has been and always will be. No
pretty cover, no flashy graphic and no fancy bookbinding will make the content any
different. If the soul of the project (content) has no matching spirit
(cover/design) then you might as well do as the pornographers do -- wrap it in a
brown paper bag. At least we all know what's inside.

But then this is just my opinion...

Darrell Ross
ddsrtist@xxxxxxx