Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 26 Oct 2003 to 27 Oct 2003 (#2003-297)

>It was, however, curious for me as a binder to note that only 4 of the 51
accepted >submissions were in the ‘fine binding’ category.  It is perhaps a
characteristic of >modern artists in general not to join or even subordinate
their work to another. >Any other thoughts on this?

Scott,
I have a couple of thoughts, probably not very profound.  The categories in
this particular exhibition were self-selected; the entrants themselves declared
how they wanted their pieces judged and viewed.  There were a couple of works
in the show which were categorized as 'artists' books' which, to me (and a
few folks I've spoken with, both fine binders and book artists), very much
qualified as 'fine binding'.  They employed only slightly changed traditional
materials and structures and included the use of an existing text written by
another.  Likewise, at least one of the 'fine binding' entries had text written and
generated by the binder.

It could simply be that as book artists become more traditionally trained and
fine binders become more innovative, the categories are blurring.

But, some of the gossip that surrounds any exhibition of this kind has also
suggested that the jurors were much tougher on the 'fine binding' works, and
that many were rejected.  That might also account for a greater number of people
opting for the 'safer' category of artists' books...not as much is expected
from us poor, deluded artists? <said with a grin!>

Melissa Jay Craig,
Chicago