Re: [BKARTS] Fwd: Design Competition

Yes, the entry fee is 60 (?) Euro. That's what thay symbol means. The Euro is the currency of (most of) the European Community. Currently the exchange rate is 1 ? = $1.15 or $69.50. Your bank will also charge a fee for the wire transfer.

Peter - This International Competition sounds fabulous - two things
are getting lost in translation however -
1) is that 60 Euros entry fee? the symbol I am seeing is not one for
any monetary unit I am familiar with....

Yes, they are. Entry fees must be received by June 1, 2004. These funds must be wired to the account indicated at the competition site at <http://www.mde2004.org/innovation2004/> Actual entries received by December 1, 2004. In terms of the actual entries the site writes:

We require a bookbinding design for a book of your choice. The design should indicate the front cover, the spine and the back cover of the binding, and have the same dimensions as the book chosen by the participant. The design has to be realised in colours, or in black and white, on strong drawing-paper which can be rolled in a cylinder with a width of 10 cm maximum. Each artist can submit several designs. For each design a participation fee of 60 ? has to be paid.

There is actually a lot which can be done this way, including inclusion of swatches... This is not a design for a dustjacket, but a design for a binding. A photocopy of the titlepage also needs to be included.

2) and I am hoping the dates are reversed European style - a bit
startling to get your number January 6 and complete your entry by
January 12!  I assume it means the opposite - number received by June
1 and entry completed by Dec1.  Please help us out here - tx,
--
Henrietta in Blue Hill, Maine

If anyone has any questions, please contact me directly. I hope as many as possible will take part in this competition. Remember you don't have to actually bind a book, just design the covers/spine of the binding of your dreams.

Peter

Peter D. Verheyen
Webminder
MDE - Meister der Einbandkunst