Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 2 Nov 2003 to 3 Nov 2003 (#2003-303)

I have bought boxes of archival quality paper for laser printing. The base size in
Australia is A4. The next larger size is double that in area i.e.A3.

If you cut the A3 in half you get A4 sheets with the grain going in the short direction.
I have made several A5 size blank books with the A3 paper and it has folded very
satisfactorily. So buy large sheets of long grain paper and have the reams
guillotined to the size and grain direction required.

If you invest in a pH test pen from a conservation supplier, you can test papers
easily. Yellow is acidic, purple is alkaline and a horrible in between color is neutral.
I think a lot of papers are buffered these days, not to make them archival but
because the manufacturers discovered that their machinery lasts a lot longer if they
use non-acidic paper pulp.