[BKARTS] Piercing Awl Question

This may be a terribly novice question, but thanks in advance those who respond.

I've read a few books on hand bookbinding, and have come across two conflicting opinions on what sort of awl is best. One says a homemade awl with a very thin needle is best so that the hole will be small and so grip the thread better. Another says an awl with a blunted tip is best, so as to "punch" through the signature rather than pierce it. I assume punching is preferred so that, once again, the hole will grip the thread.

 So, which type of all is best? Or are they both suitable?