Re: [BKARTS] Piercing Awl Question

There is no one certain type to use. I use several. A sharp awl is best for
making holes in the fold of a section for sewing. A dull one may cause the
paper to tear when pushing it through. I see no importance whatever to the hole
gripping the thread. In fact it is better to have the hole large enough that the
thread passes through easily and is NOT gripped. When the hole is too small
the friction on the thread causes it to curl and become knotted. It also causes
wear to the thread.

Regards,
Ed Stansell
http://www.bookrestoration.net