Re: [BKARTS] Re-attaching pages of old book

Anthony,

These books are almost always smyth-sewn, and if the folds are intact,
then the sewing threads are probably broken.  If the book is going to
be used, the loosened section(s) should be re-sewn, because the sewing
will get worse and worse.

I release one side of the cover from the textblock, clean the spine and
reline with japanese kozo tissue.  I bridge the attachment on each side
of the "problem" by beginning to sew about three sections from the
loose one, then continue to sew the loosened section and about three
sections beyond it.  I use a very thin thread, a 50 or 60 linen.
Quilting thread can also be used.

The endbands are put back on the book (I nearly always wash them).
Instead of a cloth lining or super, which requires that the pastedowns
be lifted, I usually will make a hollow of kite paper or of black paper
adhered to mull.  When glued to the book spine and then to the case
spine (remove the old liner), the result is very strong and flexible.
The loosened endpaper can be tipped back into place.

This procedure does not take a lot of time and can be done fairly
quickly.  If however, the book is NOT going to see much use, I'd lean
toward just tipping the loosened conjugate leaves with either dry paste
or or a thin line of pva.

Carol
Eugene, OR

----