Re: [BKARTS] Gold line on bands

Very clearly and beautifully written.  Thanks

Signa Houghteling

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bob
Roberts
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 8:41 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Gold line on bands

I've had better luck getting lines straight by tooling in blind first. The
foil can then be stretched as you suggest and you'll see the indentation to
tool through again. Nailing the dotted line pallet may be a little tougher
than simple straight lines...  To stretch the foil, here's what I do: Cut a
piece of board that when put into the finishing press with the book, comes
up perhaps 1/2" short. I usually put this board at the back cheek of the
press (with the spine oriented left to right rather than vertically.) Cut
the foil into thin strips perhaps 2" longer than the width of your book (and
scotch-tape one end to that back piece of binder's board. Holding the wheel
or pallet in my right hand, I pull the foil tightly over the band with my
left hand, stretching it enough for the foil to highlight the blind line
already tooled. This works very well for simple straight-line tools, but is
no substitute for using leaf on more complex patterns.

Bob