[BKARTS] Displaying Books

Interestingly I just had the opportunity of visiting a show at Cask
Foundation in Lynbrook, New York (Long Island)
http://www.karenmichel.com/  where I was able to see all the books, or nearly
so, without glass.  One of the pleasures of this show was my being able to
"touch" each and every one and experience them as living words and pictures.   I
took this opportunity seriously, handling each with respect, slowly and
carefully, and it added a dimension to a book arts show I had never experienced
before.
 The show itself was not large, less than 20 books, and several were
over-sized, 4 feet or so.  Each was an artists' book, 6 from a recent publication
entitled, "True Colors," and several were artist's journals, the others were the
work of Karen Michel and Carlo Thertus.  All were thought provoking.
 I am certain that my ability to touch these books will have a far more
lasting impression on me than other shows because of the nature of my relationship
with them.  I remember thinking at the time how I was "one with the book"
rather than outside the book.
 It would be a thrill to have more shows like this, and have Centers continue
to question how the book arts can be displayed in a more animated way, the
CD, as Roberta recommended just one of several potential imaginative means to
bring the book and the reader into closer proximity.

Zoe
www.itsmysite.com/parsifalsSister

Zoe
www.itsmysite.com/parsifalssister
'The present moment is the only moment available to us, and it is the door to
all moments.' - Thich Nhat Hanh
How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives - Annie Dillard