Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 14 Nov 2003 to 15 Nov 2003 (#2003-314)

At 12:01 AM 11/16/2003 -0500, Roberta wrote:
In my version of a perfect world, books would be exhibited in a large room
full of comfortable sitting areas and visitors with clean hands and basic
knowledge about how to handle the materials. A place where a market for book
arts could be expanded by socializing people into the richly satisfying
elements of time and touch that separate books from paintings, prints and
sculpture - a place of active participation.

Last spring my husband and I curated the show "Betty Storz and Friends: The Art of the Book" at Mendocino Art Center, Mendocino CA. We gave exhibitors the option of having their work under glass or available to be handled. Nearly all were happy to have visitors pick up their books. We bought a big bundle of cheap white cotton gloves from Light Impressions (www.lightimpressionsdirect.com) and arranged them in baskets throughout the gallery. We also had a few comfortable chairs where people could sit to browse.

The show was a great success. Visitors commented that they loved putting on
the gloves and they appreciated the chance to spend time quietly looking
through the books.

Maureen Eppstein