[BKARTS] Handling books

First off, please trim folks. Today's digest was 97KB and most of it was
repeats of the last two days' digests.

No doubt many will disagree, but a good part of the reason I am
attracted to the book as a format is the intimate nature of the book and
the fact that the viewer HAS to interact with it in order to get the
complete experience. I understand the issues that arise when a book is
handled by lots of people, but I think there is something quite perverse
about making something that is intended by its very nature to be handled
and then telling people they shouldn't.

I have the same issue with textiles. I also work in textiles and part of
the reason is because of the haptic quality of the materials. Since
there are textile (and paper) items that have survived relatively
unscathed at least from the middle ages, obviously a bit of careful
touching and a bit of natural oil isn't the end of the world.

As to what you do in the case of exhibitions, I think the white cotton
gloves dull your feeling and in the case of fragile items are quite
likely to lead to rather than prevent damage. However, I can see the
point that they carry a message in themselves and may help to inculcate
a message of care. I'd rather see white gloves and people able to touch
than items quarantined under glass.

Sue W (in Oz)