Re: [BKARTS] Gelatin Size

On 11/18/03 1:10 PM, "Jennifer J. Hall" <jen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just received some hard gelatin (250 bloom) from photographers formulary
> and find that I don't know how to use it.  I want to dissolve it and use it
> for a canvas coating to run through my epson printer.  Any instructions?
> Also, do you all have contact for a different supplier of gelatin assuming
> there is a good supplier out there?  Thanks a bunch.
>
> Jennifer Hall (New to book arts)

>       See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>
>    *Postings may not be re-printed in any form without the express
>    consent of the author - Please respect their contributions & ©*
>
>       Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine
>                   <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu>

Dear Jennifer,

We are about to start offering pharmaceutical grade gelatin at $8/pound.
We've been using it as a glue and for resizing paper with great success. I'm
not sure how it would work in your application, though.

To mix it as a glue, simply fill your glue pot with the gelatin and then add
water, stirring while you do. Let it sit over night and then heat up your
glue pot to use. If you keep your pot on all the time, then you will
periodically need to add water.

For size: add 1/2 to 1 1/2 gr gelatin to 100 ml of water. Mix well and then
gentility heat.

Hope this helps,
Frank
Lehmann Bindery