[BKARTS] Completed the Gospel of Saint Mark Hand Written and Illuminated

        After two and a half years I have completed my second edition of the
Gospel of Saint Mark, an illuminated manuscript completely hand made by one
man. Whereas I completed the New Testament several years ago, I decided to make
a very ornate illuminated manuscript of the 4 Gospels to reflect our times.  I
do not use computers to make this Bible, I do it the old fashioned way as it
has been done for the past 2000 years, as it is a devotion, and to understand,
to know, and to share the experiences of all those who have done this before
me.  I rely on inspiration and faith to design each page, from the layout to
the handwriting, to the illuminations and illuminated text, everything is done
from scratch, you can see the hand of the man who made it!
       It is the Authorized Version of 1611 otherwise known as the King James
Version and I have the blessings of His Holiness John Paul II, the Archbishop
of York, the Bishop of Durham, the Bishop of Peterborough who is the head of
the Liturgical Commission of the Anglican Communion and I am correcting the
punctuation using a Bible given to me by the Archbishop of Canterbury for this
purpose. Pages of my Bible were placed on display in Florence last year and the
year before at the City and the Book Congresses and at the Calligraphy
Workshops following the Congresses.  And I have been invited to show the Bible at
the Congresses in Florence again in 2004 and in 2005 at Jarrow (Northern
England, the home of Bede and the church that directed the making of the Codex
Amiatinus and the Lindisfarne Gospels in the 7th and 8th centuries).
        It is 121 pages in length not including the Chi Rho page and the
cross pages, and I am scanning it now and have it about half way done in the
scanning. I thank everyone on the Book Arts List who have given me suggestions on
the scanning of this Bible and particularly to the folks at the Getty Museum
for their efforts. The difficulty in the scanning is the reflection of the gold,
silver, copper, steel, and bronze reflections.  Particularly in the filigree
work, the etching of the metals. This is not a subject that is normally
addressed and it is extremely difficult to get the scans to look correct. It got to
the point where I had a collection of Adobe Photoshop Gurus arguing over the
procedure as they found it most difficult.  It seems that the simplest things
become the most complicated in our modern world!  Computers are used to scan
the work to print it, but as far as the manuscript is concerned it is a
completely hand made work.  These same problems are found in the imaging of the Book
of Kells and other great Bibles. The manuscript is 11 by 14 inches in size and
will be a large book.
       Each chapter I used a different historical manuscript style and
illumination and variations of that style on each page. From early 5th century
Italian manuscripts brought up to Canterbury by Saint Augustine, through the Celtic
manuscripts, Carolingian works, the manuscripts of the Normans through the
manuscripts of northern Europe all the way through history to modern penmanship
from the 20th century; I explored and immersed myself into the styles and the
artistic perspectives of the times always remembering the intent of the people
which was to make the Bible as beautiful as possible.
       Recently I saw a Renaissance cover to a Bible made by Peter Schoeffer
Printer of Mainz, made in the 1480s which was made of tooled leather and was
thinking of something along those lines to cover this Bible and the Gospel.  It
had an interwoven pattern as one would see in a Celtic manuscript embossed in
the leather. I would be interested in people's knowledge of this type of
leather work?

Sincerely,

James G. Pepper
Biblical Scribe
Images of my Bible are on this webpage but if the link does not transmit you
can find my website using my name in Google.
www.hometown.aol.com/biblescribe1/biblescribe1/index.htm