Re: [BKARTS] Bookish note

At 02:37 AM 11/25/2003 -0500, Matthew Garelick wrote:

On a more bookish note, I just re-read, and HIGHLY recommend, Paper Before
Print: The History and Impact of Paper in the Islamic World, by Jonathan
Bloom. It is a *fantastic* read, both scholarly and readable, and
beautifully illustrated. It nicely describes just how wildly transformative
paper was, and is also very informative on the history of printing and
literacy in the Arabic-speaking world. Good stuff.

Matthew
Still-Bitter Red Sox Fan

Matthew -- I just looked at this book on Amazon, it looks fabulous, if expensive. "The Arabic Book" by Johannes Pedersen, 1984, an earlier work on the same topic is O.P. now, but probably still findable, for anyone interested.

My pedantry forces me to point out that the title of the book and
the comment on the "Arabic-speaking world" are misleading, as
most of the great MSS were created in Persia, Turkey, and Moghul
India.  The cover of the book (as shown on Amazon) is actually a
page in Persian -- it's very interesting that it seems to have been
created on paper that already had a "Chinese" scene on it.

It's definitely going on my Xmas list!

Susan

Susan Fatemi susanf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx