[BKARTS] Printer's hats

.

I am looking for 19th- and early 20th-century references to printers' hats (the kind made from folded newspapers), and would be very grateful for leads either to text or to pictures. The only 19th-century image I know of that shows a printer's hat is the 1848 wood-engraving by Alexander Anderson used in Holley's life of Franklin. Many thanks for any information you can provide! -tb

Terry Belanger : University Professor : University of Virginia : Rare Book
School : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903 : Telephone
434/924-8851   fax 434/924-8824   email belanger@xxxxxxxxxxxx : URL
<http://www.rarebookschool.org>