[BKARTS] rebinding a spiral

I have bought a new spiral notebook which is exactly the size to fit
into my smaller purse.  However the wire spiral itself is wound to a
rather large diameter, making it take up too much room.  I would like
to take the spiral out, cover the boards with my own paper and rebind
through the existing holes - how to do this? Since the pages are cut,
not pamphlet style, is there some way to adapt the coptic stitch? - I
want it to open flat.

Why bother? you ask.  Because of course the text block is nicely
ruled paper, which as we all know is basically impossible to find, if
I wanted to make my own.  I have been known to use heavy weight graph
paper for notebooks instead, but this notebook is here in front of me
and it seems there might be a simple solution.

Thanks for your help,  Henrietta
--
Henrietta in Blue Hill, Maine