Re: [BKARTS] rebinding a spiral

I would recommend that you saddle stitch the
notebook.

Begin with an old-tyme hand drill with a drill bit
a little larger than the needle that you will use.

Clamp the notebook so that the pages will not
shift around when drill and/or trimming.

You can remove the spiral by snipping off one end
and unrolling it through the spine.  I WOULD NOT
recommend trimming the pages off with the spiral
still attached.

Also if you leave the holes from the spiral on you
may not really have to drill any holes to
accommodate sewing, THAT is an aesthetic call on
your part.

What matters is that you do a job that is pleasing
to you, and one that you might want to show to
others when they have a similar problem.

But anyway the "Thames and Hudson Manual of
Bookbinding" will tell you how to accomplish the
saddle stitch, which is also known as
"overcastting."

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Rommel John Miller
(410)668-4784 (home)
308 Dale Avenue
(410)668-4542 (fax)
Baltimore, MD  21206
(410)967-8994 (cell)
rjmiller@xxxxxxxx

"Although I am weak and despised,
       I remember your precepts.
Your justice is eternal justice,
       and Your law is truth.
Though anquish and distress have seized me,
       I delight in Your commands."
(Psalm 119 [Sadhe XVIII]:141-143)