Re: [BKARTS] How to sew pages without gaps

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, June-Etta Chenard wrote:

> Now, I have a request for help. Whenever I sew signatures together, I
> have gaps between the signatures when I later open the book. I have
> tried making the books smaller as well as larger, as well as with and
> without tapes. Alas, I do not have a sewing frame. If anyone has
> helpful hints, I would be very grateful.

The basic problem here is that the book is acting fatter than it needs to
as you're sewing it up.

Some things that might or might not help:

compress the text block (either in a press or just under weights) before
sewing, and keep the unsewn portion of the text block under weight as
you're sewing.

weight the text block as you're sewing it -- put down a section on top of
the part of the text block you've already sewn, open it to the middle, and
put a weight on top of everything except the half-section that's sticking
up.

after sewing each section, close that section and run the bone folder
along the fold to tighten it up.

use a little more tension on the thread as you're sewing.