Re: [BKARTS] Nag Hammadi prototype

Victoria,

If you can be in  Ann Arbor in April,  Julia Miller is reaching a class at
Hollander's

SATURDAY, APRIL 3 - 10:00 to 5:00 and SUNDAY, APRIL 4 - 11:00 to 4:00
Historical Quire Binding with Leather and Papyrus (NEW) with Julia Miller.
The class will construct a historical model of a leather and papyrus binding
based on the earliest surviving codex structures, the Nag Hammadi codices,
which date from the 3rd/4th century C.E.  The class will begin with slides
and discussion of the history of these codices.  The structure itself will
have a single gathering of papyrus pages. Semi-limp leather covers, lined
with papyrus, will be bound with tackets through actual vellum stays and
closed with a long wrapping band.  Students will use full thickness kangaroo
leather without paring. In addition, you will decorate the bindings with
simple cold-tooled lines and ink decoration typical of the style.  Time
allowing we will work on a second binding using more 'modern' materials to
create a book art version of the style. Materials fee includes leather.
Class Fee: $175 - Materials Fee: $55

http://www.hollanders.com/workshopschedule.htm

Tom Hollander

Hollander's