Re: [BKARTS] Books without Words

I loved the title of the exhibit in Richard's comment, "The Object as Poet".
The "poetry" of a book comes from page, sequence, movement, materials, echos
of the history of the structure chosen, thread, fiber, photo, print,
surface, smell, complexity, ambiquity, contradiction, letters, words, font,
etc. etc., combined with the memories and emotions that each individual
viewer brings to the experience. Most people aren't interested, able,
willing, etc. to take the time to sink into the poetry of artist's books -
just as appreciating a great poem takes many, many readings. Carrion's
essay, almost 30 years ago, tried to tackle this. We should be leading a
revolution in introducing and encouraging a new type of literacy.

So, the question becomes, what are we doing to foster this new literacy? We
set up exhibits where the time needed to give artist's books more than a
cursory glance isn't available or practical.  We still exhibit books under
glass, we don't allow viewers to touch the work and we bicker amongst
ourselves as to what should be included in our medium.

The "book" as a concept or object can be approched in endless ways - imagine
if there was a medium called "canvas", with painters, weavers, fashion
designers, architects and tote bag manufacturers all trying to come together
in one group.

And, we're trying to build a solid, informed collector base.

It's a challenge.

with best wishes,
Roberta
Roberta Lavadour