From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Michael Andrews
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 11:47 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Books without Words

Which only shows that a metaphor does not necessarily relate to reality
and that an analogy can certainly be stretched beyond snapping.
Artist's who wish to deny the validity of language
should be wary of using metaphors in their defense.

Nonsense is the easiest thing to generate and the least likely to prove
anything.

A manifesto, current or otherwise, does not define art;
it defines a market niche and a marketing strategy.

The worrisome part is that to declare such a narrowly defined manifesto
and then apply it to so broad and so vague a category such as
the book art movement teeters dangerously on the edge of elitism,
and worse, appears to be defining other artists out of the market.

It is quite true that the word book is being used in numerous ways,
almost to the point of becoming nonsensical, which do reflect
valid differences among individuals.

There is no reason why some artist can not make books
without words and declare them art, but that does not justify
a general attack on artists who do employ language,
or on language itself, or on the value of critical thought..
This seems particularly true when such attacks
can only be conveyed by means of language and critical thought.

Something like Wittgenstein's ladder. But perhaps not everyone on this list
has read Wittgenstein, or can, which is also fine, but to denigrate modes of
thought and artistic expression simply because it doesn't fit some
individual's capabilities
is, at the least, ethically questionable.

This issue ceases to be bullshit when artists form coteries
whose express purpose is to exclude other artists from the market.

Is seems that there ought to live and let policy among artists.
A kinder, gentler book arts community.

michael