Re: [BKARTS] Books without Words

Agreed

It is perfectly valid to reduce book to structure,
or even to a media without content.
It is perhaps less ingenuous to call it sculpture rather than book.

But you are exactly right on two counts:
1). art must be something beyond the medium, and
2). every manifesto, every artistic justification, every definition of an
art form, is expressed in language and thought.

So, even if you imagine that you are producing art that expresses a
revolutionary new literacy, or is somehow manipulating metaphor beyond
language, then you ought, at least, to have some respect for language, word
and content, since all such art ultimately falls back upon it.

It is far easier to grasp the definition of art that is expressly not based
on word and thought,
if it simply allowed the inclusion and validity language and thought within
its great transcendental cosmos, rather excluding the very modes of
expression needed to explain and justify such art in the first place.

Who indeed, will write the next manifesto?

michael