Re: [BKARTS] Books without Words

Some years ago one of my staff left my employ to take up a position as
book artist-in-residence at a local college. The first one they'd had.

She invited me to her first show.

Please understand that I am a book conservator, not a book artist, and
she had worked for me as a book conservator.  We had never discussed
art, as such.  Perhaps she understood me better than I understood her.

Anyhoo.  Her books, described by her as books, seemed to consist of
slabs of kilned clay displayed with pruned tree branches.

The only words involved were on the display cards, explaining to the
viewing public that what they were witnessing were books.

I saw it as a connection between Babyonian clay tablets and groundwood
pulp paper.

She told me that I was wrong, but did not explain.

As I said, I'm a book conservator.  Sigh.

Jack

(snip)
>While we do need to educate people about the form generally in order to
>develop an audience for what we do, is it necessary to define it narrowly?
>>Those who have purchased my books don't seem to have issues with my
>definition >of them as books, even though most of my books are both
>without text and
>one-of-a-kind.

Barbara Harman

Thompson Conservation Lab.