Re: [BKARTS] Books without Words

Last night, on BBC/NPR a reporter was in India interviewing people
who were representing companies/individuals who seek to enhance the
lives of people, esp. in 3rd. world countries.

One individual (representing a government programme) discussed how they
had developed a system for teaching people how to read by teaching
them how to recognize words as objects, not as accumulations of letters.

The government representative stated that by memorizing some 650
'objects' (words) an average person would be able to understand
enough of the language to read a newspaper.

While my ears were attending to BBC/NPR, my eyes were scanning line
after line of a book written by one of my favorite parodists, the
British writer, Terry Pratchett, _Interesting Times_.

In this book a small group of ancient barbarians conquer a country
which has an ideographic language (just like Chinese).

Some translation is required in communication, for instance:

        "The statement was followed by a pictogram of a dog passing water,
which was for some obscure reason the Agatean equivalent of an
exclamation mark.  There were five of these." ...

        "The innkeeper said the City demanded tax but he did not intend to
pay, and when I asked if he was not afraid he vouchsafed: '[complicated
pictogram] them all except one and he can [complicated pictogram] himself'
[Urinating dog, urinating dog]."

And then I read all these interesting discussions on the meaning of
meaning tonight once I'd downloaded the Digest.

Interesting times, indeed.

And I believe that the correct composition of the sentence is that:
'books are to coffee as a reclining nude is to a martini.'

Whichever*; I do know that I'd rather clean a spilled martini off a nude
than a spilled cuppa from a book.

Jack

*NOT 'Whatever' as my children are wont to declaim.

(snip)

>Books are to coffee what a reclining nude is to a martini. Or is it as?
>Perhaps coffee is to books as water is to level. Let's table that motion
>until the next meeting.
(snip)

> Richard

Thompson Conservation Lab.