Re: [BKARTS] Leporello Technique

Don't know how many are interested, but Dr. Lynne Guitar, the friend here in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) with whom I'm staying, told me today that the original person on whom Don Juan was modeled was a 17th century Spanish administrator resident in Santo Domingo. Lynne's a historian of early Hispaniola. Here's her comment, from notes for a walking tour of the Zona Colonial:

Convento y Iglesia de Santa Clara (St. Clara Convent & Church)*Female "Claristas," nuns belonging to the Order of St. Francis, came to Santo Domingo in 1555.  This church and the convent on Padre Billini and Isabel La Católica streets that housed them was a school for rich Spanish girls and the first convent in the New World.  The convent's orchard was expansive, running all the way south to the Caribbean Sea.  [Sir Francis] Drake razed the buildings, which were restored in 1648 with a generous donation by the city's richest and most powerful inhabitant, don Rodrigo Pimentel.  The Franciscan nuns of Santa Clara abandoned the island in 1796, moving to Havana, Cuba.  While they were here, however, the convent, with its plethora of wealthy young Spanish virgins, was a convenient "hunting grounds" for the amorous pursuits of men such as Francisco Manso de Contreras, the real-life  model for Tirso de Molina's Don Juan.  Since the 1800s, the church and convent have belonged to the Order of Cardinal Sancha.

Saludos!

Judy Kerman

Judith B. Kerman
Professor of English
Saginaw Valley State University

>>> paper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 01/08/04 10:41 PM >>>
I've always considered a Leporello to be a little different than other
accordions or concertinas in that it is made up of single folded sheets
(bifolia) adhered back to back but with spine to fore edge like this...

<

<

<

...to create an accordion of any length (supposedly very long, as the one
the structure's namesake in the opera Don Giovanni uses to record Giovanni's
romantic conquests.)

I was taught to glue just around the edges to allow a little air pocket,
making it move more fluidly.

The benefit of this structure is that you can make long accordions with
small papers, the down side is that it takes a lot of adhesive.

Roberta
Roberta Lavadour
Mission Creek Press / Pendleton, Oregon
http://www.missioncreekpress.com/newwork.htm