Re: [BKARTS] Books and Humidity

Gavin,
It is called dry rot because the object does not have to get wet for it to rot. It rots from the humidity in the air.
Dave

At 08:40 PM 1/12/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Books are more likely to curl from dry than from wet.  They relax in the
>wet, but they pull and curl in dry.  And in my experience, 25% RH is
>dry.  Very dry.  Try to humidify to 30-35% or so.  My wife prefers 45%, but
>that is too high.  Around 45% is when mildew sets in.  Dry rot.  Why is it
>called dry rot when it depends on humidity?
>
>Gavin

David Allen
840 Snowdrop Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia
CANADA  V8Z 2N4
(250) 888-9380
http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only
be maintained by violence. Any man who has once proclaimed
violence as his method is inevitably forced to take the lie
as his principle.
  Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn   - Nobel Prize lecture, 1974