Re: [BKARTS] couple quick questions

> question 1 -- when do you *need* a cradle?  i've never used one, and even
> though i've been told i need one, i don't see exactly when i need it...?

Well, I've been binding for two years, and have never used a cradle.

I've used a "punching jig", which is kind of the inverse of a cradle.  It's
a plank of wood with one side planed to a narrow edge, over which I can
drape a signature and punch my holes from the outside in.  Another common
solution is to make a card template the height of the signatures, folded
lengthwise and with the holes pre-punched, and put it either inside or
outside of the signatures.  You can then be sure the holes will end up in
the right places.

But most of the time, I just mark the backs and take care when punching to
make sure it goes through the fold all the way through the signature.

A cradle might save time and care, but it isn't strictly necessary.

Abi
abi@xxxxxxxxxx
www.bookweb.sunpig.com