Re: [BKARTS] CD-R longevity and recording techniques for archival recordings

Gavin,

Switching to plaintext does not solve the problem. See what is still
happening below in your message...

I think it might be a combination of you being on a PC and we might be on
Macs? Just a guess.

I also notice that you are in Canada. I know some international keyboards
have different setups and yours might be generating different characters
than US keyboard set-ups. The =20 seems to always happen at a line-length
carriage return.

I have had this problem before on this list and as I recall it seemed to
come from non-US PC keyboards. It's a pain but if I want to keep the email I
usually cut out the text, paste it into a word processing app. and then do a
search and replace for all the =20 and other aberrations.

Phil

On 1/21/04 1:54 PM, you wrote:

> Celia wrote: ...Gavin's email about CD-Rs came in with additional sporadic=
> =20
> numbers and such
> which made it hard to sort out.
>
> This is an attempt to rectify this:  here's the same message with the plain=
> =20
> text switch set on, and all formatting removed explicitly.  Hope it=20
> works.  Gavin
>
> This inquiry is a bit off topic for this list, but I imagine several of you=
> =20
> have experience in the matter, especially those who are librarians.  I am=20
> in the situation of recording cd-r images of a hard disk for deposit in a=20
> university archive, and I wonder what the latest information is on=20
> longevity and recording techniques.  Is the general recommendation still=20
> the gold disks?  Any brand preferences?  Does recording speed have an=20
> effect?  What lifetimes in controlled storage are to be expected?  Are=20
> there studies available on the web?
>
> I found a Kodak paper, Lifetime of KODAK Writable CD and Photo CD Media by=
> =20
> Douglas Stinson, Fred Ameli, and Nick Zaino
> Digital & Applied Imaging, =A91995 Eastman Kodak Company, which concludes=20
> "that with 95% confidence, 95% of the population of KODAK Writable CD Media=
> =20
> will have a data lifetime of greater than 217 years if stored in the dark=20
> at 25=B0C, 40% Relative Humiditiy after being recorded in a KODAK PCD Writer=
> =20
> 200. "  They do not specify the brand of media better than this, and=20
> conclude that the claim for lifetime should be "greater than 100=20
> years".  They claim elsewhere that their latest best medium is the Kodak=20
> Ultima for which the claim for lifetime rises from about 100years to about=
> =20
> 5000 years.  This is a 24kt gold reflective layer cd-r.
>
> "The table below shows the estimated lifetime for Kodak Ultima media at 30=
> =20
> C based on the choice of reported activation energy.

.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .

Philip Zimmermann
Border Art Residency
3127 Highway 28  (La Union)
Anthony, NM  88021