Re: [BKARTS] CD-R longevity and recording techniques for archival recordings

The storage of information on CD-R's was discussed on metafilter.com
back in August '03.  http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/27885

The original link was to an article about a Dutch PC magazine that did some quality testing. While the quality tests reveal a lack of readability many, many metafilter forum contributors provided anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

My personal solution is to make 3 copies of anything important.
Hopefully at least one will make it...knock on beige plastic.

CD-R quality test link: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7751

"The Dutch PC-Active magazine has done an extensive CD-R quality test. For the test the magazine has taken a look at the readability of discs, thirty different CD-R brands, that were recorded twenty months ago. The results were quite shocking as a lot of the discs simply couldn't be read anymore"

- Duncan -- "Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a Viking!"

       - Ralph

http://www.campbell-logan.com
http://www.tvjunkie.net

Campbell-Logan Bindery, Inc.