Re: [BKARTS] paper for inkjet printing

Hello All -

The Epson inks are the least archival of the pigment inks, and although they
say it has improved quality over metamerism, it does not.

Also Epson papers are supposedly made by Crane and are not rag based.

Better archival inks can be found at http://www.mediastreet.com/
for their Generations Enhanced. Their inks have gained a reputation for
clogging heads. They also have a line of inkjet papers.

MIS made good archival inks except for the inclusion for some dye in the
black, so they are probably not as archival. http://www.inksupply.com/

Both of these offer CIS systems.

A good source for both paper and ink is http://www.inkjetart.com/index.html
They also have a lot of helpful information on line.

Some of  the finest rag inkjet papers on the planet are at Hawk Mountain.
http://www.hawkmtnartpapers.com/. Diana is their printer. She prints on
their papers with Generations Enhanced and is a helpful source of
information.
Papers with brighteners in them are not as archival, since the brighteners
are fluorescents and will fade in time, leaving you with a natural color.

Inkjet Goodies has the best two sided paper made today for the inkjet,
Entrada Natural.
2 sided paper is somewhat more useful for making books, and it lays flatter.
http://inkjetgoodies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

Be aware that changing either ink or paper, or both will require a change in
ICC profiles.
If you do not know how to deal with profiles, then stick with the Epson inks
and papers, they are less archival but hassle free. Profiles can cost a lot,
and cost a lot of time unless you can get a canned profile that matches your
paper/ink combination.

Bulldog also makes pigment ink, but only for six head Epson printers, and in
bulk, so you would need a CIS.

Wilhelm used to be the bible in archival testing of photographic materials,
film, paper, ink, etc. Lately his recommendations are suspect since he seems
to live in Epson's pocket and has lost a lot of credibility.
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

I have used Photoshop for 10 years and consider myself 80% proficient.
Unlike the darkroom with only 5 or 6 variable, you now deal with hundreds.
Inkjet printers are worse. It took me two years to zero in, and everry 6
months the technologys changes and you begin again.

Bon Chance

michael