[BKARTS] Using digital scans for making a true facsimile print reproduction?

Hello,

There is a very old book (dating from 1905, thus in the Public Domain
in the U.S.) which I am interested in digitally scanning and, using
Distributed Proofreaders service, converting into a high quality XML
text document for submission to Project Gutenberg and for producing
various modern book/ebook versions. The process for doing this is, of
course, well developed.

However, I am also interested in producing a high-quality true
facsimile reproduction of the same book. The book would be printed by
traditional printing techniques (plates/ink/etc., not laser printer),
probably as a limited edition of some sort.

Probably adding to the complexity is that the book is illustrated,
with one to several black and white photograph illustrations per page
(half tones?). The pages themselves are quite large: the printed area
itself, not including the margins, is about 11.5"x16" in size.

So, for those here familiar with the art of traditional print
publishing, can I use digital scans for facsimile printing, or is this
best done photographically? If I can use digital scans, what are the
minimum requirements in terms of native dpi, etc.? I assume the
illustrations will create some difficulties in reproduction. I much
prefer to digitally scan the book once, and use the scans for both the
direct facsimile reproduction and for conversion to digital text via
OCR and proofing.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Jon Noring