Re: [BKARTS] paper for inkjet printing

Although I would definitely believe what Michael says about Henry Wilhelm
being in Epson's pocket, I will still take the Epson Ultrachrome archival
inks over any of the other's I have tried for desktop inkjet printers. (I
have a 2200.) They are the only ones with a really decent red and 'natural
looking' colors (rather than dulled down 1950's National Geographic-type
color).

One of my favorite papers is Mitsubishi's Dual-sided Diamond Jet Matte KSM
paper. As far as I know Mitsubishi pioneered dual-sided inkjet paper quite a
few years ago, in fact for several years they were the only ones who made
it. Now everyone does. I was told it is the most-used digital paper in
Japan. It is really nice stuff if you want beautiful accurate color
reproduction of work, though it doesn't have the feel of handmade papers.
Profiles for Epson papers seem to work very nicely. You can order it online
from http://www.diamond-jet.com . They also sell through some graphic arts
suppliers. Mitsubishi sells as an astonishing variety of digital imaging
materials, as you will see when you go to their site. Rumor is they make
digital imaging paper for HP.

Another supplier is Red River Paper in Dallas. I don't like their gloss and
satin papers, but I prefer matte papers anyway. You can get sample packs
from them and they give free ICC profiles for all their papers and are quite
knowledgeable. You can reach them at www.redrivercatalog.com .

By the way, I would stay away from all Epson coated papers. I have several
boxes from 3 or 4 years ago, and the edges of the paper are VERY yellowed.
Not a good sign for archivalness. Perhaps they have improved their coatings
in the intervening years.

Phil

On 1/21/04 7:27 PM, you wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> The Epson inks are the least archival of the pigment inks, and although they
> say it has improved quality over metamerism, it does not.
>
> Also Epson papers are supposedly made by Crane and are not rag based.
>
> Better archival inks can be found at http://www.mediastreet.com/
> for their Generations Enhanced. Their inks have gained a reputation for
> clogging heads. They also have a line of inkjet papers.
>
> MIS made good archival inks except for the inclusion for some dye in the
> black, so they are probably not as archival. http://www.inksupply.com/
>
> Both of these offer CIS systems.
>
> A good source for both paper and ink is http://www.inkjetart.com/index.html
> They also have a lot of helpful information on line.
>
> Some of  the finest rag inkjet papers on the planet are at Hawk Mountain.
> http://www.hawkmtnartpapers.com/. Diana is their printer. She prints on
> their papers with Generations Enhanced and is a helpful source of
> information.
> Papers with brighteners in them are not as archival, since the brighteners
> are fluorescents and will fade in time, leaving you with a natural color.
>
> Inkjet Goodies has the best two sided paper made today for the inkjet,
> Entrada Natural.
> 2 sided paper is somewhat more useful for making books, and it lays flatter.
> http://inkjetgoodies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?
>
> Be aware that changing either ink or paper, or both will require a change in
> ICC profiles.
> If you do not know how to deal with profiles, then stick with the Epson inks
> and papers, they are less archival but hassle free. Profiles can cost a lot,
> and cost a lot of time unless you can get a canned profile that matches your
> paper/ink combination.
>
> Bulldog also makes pigment ink, but only for six head Epson printers, and in
> bulk, so you would need a CIS.
>
> Wilhelm used to be the bible in archival testing of photographic materials,
> film, paper, ink, etc. Lately his recommendations are suspect since he seems
> to live in Epson's pocket and has lost a lot of credibility.
> http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
>
> I have used Photoshop for 10 years and consider myself 80% proficient.
> Unlike the darkroom with only 5 or 6 variable, you now deal with hundreds.
> Inkjet printers are worse. It took me two years to zero in, and everry 6
> months the technologys changes and you begin again.
>
> Bon Chance
>
> michael