[BKARTS] Book-cleaning problem

Hello,
Help! A friend of mine is a secondhand book dealer. He has a couple hundred books with a weird and annoying problem. Their previous owner would immediately discard the dust jackets, and replace them with a heavy plastic "protective" cover. Over time, these plastic covers seem to have leached out some nasty, sticky substance onto the books. The plastic is not mylar, but otherwise I am not sure how to describe it -- it is sort of prison-library chic. We are pretty sure the plastic covers were not originally adhesive. The books have a pretty typical range of coverings on the boards -- smooth and rough cloth, paper, etc.

He has had no luck cleaning the boards (using the sorts of things he usually tries, alcohol, Gunk-Off, and so on). I am hoping one of you may have seen this before, and found a solution.

(Oh, and the reason he can't sell them as-is, is because he sells the bulk of his stuff through Amazon, and there is not sufficient space for an adequate description of this condition).

Thanks in advance,
Matthew