Re: [BKARTS] CD-R longevity and recording techniques for archival recordings

In a message dated 1/22/04 5:24:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I'm not sure that I would call a PC an "open system". >>

Well, for sure, you're wrong.   The PC is entirely open.  Nothing about it is
proprietary.  Which means; anyone in the world can build a PC-compatable
computer. Can't get more "open" than that.

here are the facts:

1) Any PC ever built, or ever will be built, has to be able to load DOS.
It's that simple; if it can't load DOS it ain't a PC.

2) Anything you need to do with archiving can be done with a simple DOS system

end of argument!

Dean

PS: Using UNIX for archiving is about as smart as using 8" floppies.