[BKARTS] Re-binding a soft cover book

I have a much-used, soft-cover book on which the cover was wearing
out. I made a hard cover, which I attached to the outside of the soft
cover. It looks wonderful but now the old cover is pulling away from
the pages. The pages are just glued in a perfect binding, and if I
glue the great new cover to another page, it, too, will tear off. If
anyone has any ideas on how to extend its life, I would be most
grateful.
Thank you,
June-Etta Chenard