Re: [BKARTS] marbled endpapers

I marble paper, but not with archival properties specifically in mind. I use
acrylic paint with no alum; the hardness in the local water seems to give
enough bite that alum is not helpful.

I think alum is more important when marbling with watercolours, where its
acidity (or perhaps the presence of trivalent aluminum cations) helps to set
the paint on the paper. It might be possible to rinse out the alum or
otherwise neutralize the acidity after the marbling has had a chance to dry.

You could also marble using oil paint; I doubt that alum is needed in this
case.
-Kevin Martin
 the Papertrail