[BKARTS] Turning Pages at the Jaffe Book Arts Collection

"Turning Pages: Celebrating South Florida Artist-Made Books" is currently
on view at the Jaffe Atrium Book Arts Gallery at Florida Atlantic
University's Wimberly Library. This exhibit, which opened at Miami Dade
College last fall as part of the Miami Book Fair, features bookworks by
some of our region's best known artists, but the catch is that half of them
had never made a book before. So it's a most peculiar mix of books that
range from the fine press tradition to the outrageous.

For instance: at the fine press end of the spectrum is "WorldWise," a book
by FAU's own Linda K. Johnson. The book is made of four books, actually.
Each is a miniature letterpress-printed accordian binding, representing the
four corners of the world and together comprising a whole. And at the
outrageous end of the spectrum: Xavier Cortada's "Waist-ed" stretches the
idea of "book" to a place we've not seen here before: this book is a
running freezer stocked with labeled ziplock bags of leftovers. And for
just plain amazing: Wendy Wischer spins a virtual web of words in brass
wire in her piece, "Enfolded."

Turning Pages run through February 29 at the Jaffe Atrium Gallery, in the
lobby outside of the Jaffe Book Arts Collection, third floor east of FAU's
Wimberly Library in Boca Raton. You'll find more bookworks from this
exhibit in the cases outside the Wimberly's Administrative Offices, second
floor west, and you'll want to peer inside the Jaffe Collection for a few
pieces that were just too large for our gallery cases. Be sure to pick up a
full color catalog while you're here, and also leave your comments on the
exhibit in our commentary book.

Though an appointment is necessary to view books inside the Jaffe
Collection, the gallery is open and available to you anytime during regular
library hours. Currently: Monday to Thursday 8am to midnight; Friday 8am to
7pm; Saturday 9am to 8pm; and Sunday noon to midnight.

EXHIBIT CATALOGS by MAIL:
The Turning Pages exhibit catalog is a full-color, 44-page booklet, on
coated stock, with photographs of each book and an accompanying statement
by each of the 40 artists, as well as an introduction by curator Lea
Nickless Verechhia. We'll gladly send you a catalog; all we request is a
donation to the Jaffe Support Fund, which helps to fund our work here at
the Jaffe Book Arts Collection, including collection development, academic
book arts development, and book arts lectures and workshops.

Suggested donation, which covers our processing, packing and shipping time
and expense: $8 for each catalog (but we will gladly accept anything you
can afford, be it more, or less. It all goes to our good cause: the Book
Arts at FAU.) Please make checks out to "FAU Foundation," referenced "Jaffe
Support Fund."

Orders addressed to:

        John Cutrone
        The Jaffe Book Arts Collection
        777 Glades Road
        PO Box 3092
        Boca Raton, FL 33431-0992

Thank you kindly,
John

John Cutrone The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library Boca Raton, Florida