Re: [BKARTS] Supplies in Greater Boston?

Katie

Welcome to Boston. You might want to check out Boston Book Arts. We
have monthly meetings and it is a wonderful group of people. The next
meeting is on the 29th. You can find info at
http://www.bostonbookarts.org

Here are some resources for the Boston area from my website.

Paper Connection
http://www.paperconnection.com
1.877.434.1234
I first bought paper from Lauren, the owner, when she worked for a
Japanese paper company in Boston. She has since gone on her own. She
specializes in Japanese papers, although she also carries handmade
papers from Costa Rica, Nepal, and other locations. She is primarily a
wholesaler but will sell to individuals if you place an order of $150
or more.

Paper Source
1810 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA
617.497.1077
http://www.paper-source.com
Paper Source has an extensive selection of paper, some bookbinding
materials, rubber stamps, and interesting stuff. They offer Book Arts
workshops. There are also stores in Boston and Brookline as well around
the country. Locations can be found on the website.

Rugg Road Paper
105 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
617.742.0002
Rugg Road started on Rugg Road in Allston as a papermaking studio. The
current store sells handmade paper and an extensive selection of papers
from around the world as well as a small selection of bookbinding
materials. They have a selection of small size paper. They offer
workshops in the Book Arts.

Charrette
Main Store:
31 Olympia Ave (off 128)
Woburn, MA
781.935.9657
http://www.charrette.com
Also has stores in Cambridge and Boston. They are not my first choice
for paper and art supplies but their locations are convenient. The
Woburn store has a bargain area in the back which can yield some
interesting finds.

C.C. Lowell
258 Park Avenue
Worcester, MA 01609
508.757.7713
http://www.cclowell.com
A friend of mine had an exhibit in the small gallery at the entrance to
the store several years ago. I was delighted to find a well stocked art
store with a wide paper selection inside. They carry the small Canson
sheets and small selection of bookbinding materials. I try to stop by
when I am teaching in Worcester.

Harcourt Bindery
51 Melcher St.
Boston, MA 02210
617.495.0235
http://www.harcourtbindery.com
Harcourt is a hand bindery in the Fort Point Channel area of Boston.
They sell bookbinding materials as well.

Pearl Paint
579 Mass Ave (Central Square)
Cambridge, MA 02139
617.547.6600
http://www.pearlpaint.com
I remember my first trip to Pearl Paint years ago at their original
location on Canal Street in New York. I was overwhelmed. The selection
was huge and the prices were good. Pearl has expanded outside the city
and while the store in Cambridge isn't as large as Canal Street, it's
worth a visit. The website lists other locations around the country.

The Art Store
Landmark Center (the old Sears building)
Corner of Brookline Ave and Fullerton St
Boston, MA
617.247.3322
http://www.artstore.com
A well-organized store offering a wide selection of artists' materials.
There are stores around the country and an online site.

Susan

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord Newburyport, MA

skgaylord@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.makingbooks.com