Re: [BKARTS] POSSIBLE LURKING VIRUS

This is a hoax!  You delete a perfectly useful program, so don't
touch......Lotte L UK
----- Original Message -----
From: "laneparks" <madrona@xxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 3:33 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] POSSIBLE LURKING VIRUS

Greetings All:
I just received this from a close friend. who used to live on Guemes Island.
I found the file in my computer. It has been there since 11/30/2002 and
hasn't
seemed to have done any damage, but it is a little scary.

I would suggest doing the -----PLEASE DO THIS ASAP---- right away. Please
don't panic and don't click on anything before you have followed the
instructions.
It was easy for me and I had a little panic going on. I fear we might have
more
of this happening. I have Norton, but it passed through. Sorry.

Lane
"This was passed on to me from a neighbor. I don't know whether it will come
back again so you might want to recheck it every day or so.

just found out I received a virus that automatically is passed through
e-mail address books. I found it in my C: drive.

Since you are in my address book, you will probably find it in your
computer too.

The virus called jdbe.exe is not detected by Norton or McAfee Anti-virus
systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system.
It is sent automatically by "messenger" and by address book whether or
not you sent e-mail to your contacts. Here is how to check for the virus
and how to get rid of it.

PLEASE DO THIS ASAP.

1. Go to Start, then click your "find" or search "option."
2. In the folder option, type the name jdbgm
3. Be sure to search your C drive (this is where I found it) and all the
sub folders and other drives you may have 4. Click "find now" 5. The
virus has a teddy bear icon! with the name jdbgmgr.exe. DO NOT OPEN IT!
6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose "select all" to highlight the
file without opening it. 7. Now go to the File (on the menu bar) and
select delete. The virus will then go to the recycle bin.

If you find the virus, you must contact all the people in your address
book so that they may eradicate the virus from their own address books.
To do this:

1. Open a new e-mail message.
2. Click the icon address book (contacts) next to "To"
3. Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
4. Copy this message and paste to e-mail."