Re: [BKARTS] tooling in white color?

On Feb 8, 2004, at 1:47 PM, Florian Wolper wrote:

I would like to do some tooling on a small blue coloured
vellum-binding.
But I don't want to apply gold or silver leaves. I would like to use
white colour.

I read something about a technique for this, using eggshell. Someone
has
done this once?? Any advice how this works??
******************************
Sydney "Sandy" M. Cockerell, an English master of vellum binding, had
said that he did not use glaire (egg white glaire or shellac size),
because any excess around an impression might discolor over time and
show. His preference was to use gold foil or other colored foils.
He and some of his techniques were featured in  the first THE NEW
BOOKBINDER Volume 1 1981.
 Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695