Re: [BKARTS] tips to avoid getting glue on paper

From one novice to another:

My bookbinding instructor had a very practical solution to this very sticky (sorry) problem.  Apply the glue to the stiffer surface, not the paper.   In our classes that was davey board.  We used big glue brushes which let us get the glue on there pretty evenly and kept our fingers out of the business until we were ready to fold the paper around the boards and smoothed it out with a bone folder.

Good luck, Jackie

>>> s_huh@xxxxxxxxx 2/9/2004 2:33:02 PM >>>
Hi,

I'm a novice bookbinder so please forgive me if this
question is very basic. My problem has been with
larger size books (eg. larger than 8"X10").  I have
been applying the glue to the paper/bookcloth (either
YES paste or PVA) but am having difficulty with
manipulating the curled paper/bookcloth after glue is
applied, and somehow I usually end up with a few spots
of glue on the finished surface.

Are there any tricks to gluing a large piece of paper
onto board?  I saw that someone suggested applying
glue to the board first, so I will try that.
Also, if there are any tricks to getting glue off the
finished surface, I would love your insight too.

Thanks very much
Sue