From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Brandon Mise
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 1:25 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: tips to avoid getting glue on paper

Sue-

This method works well for me-

When you glue, work from the center and let your brush go all the way=20
past the edge of the paper (this prevents the paper from moving around=20=

so much--picking up the brush midstroke will make the paper shimmy). As=20=

the paper begins to curl, keep working the brush over the curl, until=20
the paper starts to relax and flatten out a little bit.   I'm not sure=20=

if you are watering down your PVA or adding methylcellulose, but the=20
less you use, the less it will curl.  Also, I recommend using a small=20
foam roller brush, instead of a bristled brush, which will spread the=20
glue out thinly and evenly and allows you to work quickly.

Before you lay  down the paper to be glued, have  two pieces of scratch=20=

paper laid out side by side, so once you've applied an adequate amount=20=

of glue you can (very carefully) slide each piece of scratch paper away=20=

and get them away from your work surface (I use the floor).  This may=20
solve half of your problem.

The other half of your problem may be caused by how you pick the paper=20=

up.  When spreading the glue out, use your middle finger (this is the=20
dirty finger) planted in the center of the page to keep the paper=20
stable, being careful not to get any glue on your forefinger or thumb. =20=

Once you've applied glue to the whole surface, move your planted middle=20=

finger over slightly so that you can glue up the center. The next step=20=

is going to be hard to explain without visuals, but when you pick up=20
the paper, put your two dirty fingers on opposing edges of the glued=20
side of the page, slowly slide your thumbs underneath (so that they are=20=

touching the  clean side,) flip it over slowly and  you'll find that=20
your forefingers will naturally land on the clean side.    This finger=20=

configuration makes it extremely easy to accurately place the paper=20
where it needs to go and will minimize your chances of having the gluey=20=

side touch the clean side.

Lastly, gluing the stiffer surface may work in some instances, but not=20=

in cases where the paper or cloth you are using are smaller than the=20
surface they are being applied to...  it is difficult to apply the glue=20=

perfectly within the lines of your target area, and it increases the=20
chances of the glue escaping out along the edges of the paper being=20
applied.

You might want to practice this method a few times with a smaller piece=20=

of paper.

I hope this explanation makes sense! I'd be happy to reiterate any=20
steps if they seem unclear.

Happy Gluing!

Brandon Mise
Blue Barnhouse