Re: [BKARTS] tips to avoid getting glue on paper

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Edward Stansell wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Reversibility is also important outside of restoration/conservation.
> Have you never positioned a book incorrectly when casing-in?  Have you
> never gotten a wrinkle in the paste-down? How about a turned under
> corner on you lining. All of these prove a need for reversibility in
> paste-down adhesive. The more inexperienced one is, the more they are in
> need of the dynamic of reversibility.

Preface: I am only an egg.

The lab I work in uses straight PVA for casing-in, and there are basically
two ways we deal with problems such as you describe.

After gluing up the pastedown and placing the cover, we immediately open
the cover again and smooth down the pastedown with a piece of reemay.
This gets rid of any wrinkles, and if the book is incorrectly positioned,
you can see it now before the glue has set, while the endsheet is still
easily liftable.

If a problem with the casing-in only becomes apparent after the glue has
set, we cut the pastedown even with the cambric liner, lift the stub, peel
off and discard the rest of the pastedown; the second leaf of the
double-folio endpaper becomes the new pastedown.

This approach obviously isn't universally applicable.

                                                Rachel